The Foreign Ministry of Maldives
Minister of Foreign Affairs
Personal Data Name: Abdulla Shahid
Date and Place of birth: 26 May 1962, Male, Maldives
- MA International Relations Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy Tufts University, Boston, USA, 1991
- BA Political Science and Economics Canberra College of Advanced Education, Canberra, Australia, 1987
Foreign Service Career
- 2007 – 2008 Minister of Foreign Affairs
- 2005 – 2007 Minister of State for Foreign Affairs
- 1993 – 1994 Director, International Affairs
- 1992 – 1993 Deputy Director, International Affairs
- 1990 – 1992 Assistant Director, International Affairs
- 1988 – 1990 Assistant Undersecretary
- 1983 – 1988 Officer, Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Raised the Maldives’ profile and image in the international community and broadened the Maldives’ diplomatic reach by opening new diplomatic missions in the US, China, Japan, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Pakistan and Bangladesh.
- Participated in the negotiations for the Earth Summit in 1992 and in the Summit itself.
- Attended all sessions of the UN General Assembly from 1987 to 1994.
- Participated in the first ever UN Security Council debate on the impact of climate change on peace and security.
- Represented the Maldives at the preparatory meetings for the World Conference on Human Rights in Vienna in 1993 and attended the Conference itself.
- Remained closely associated with the work of the UN Human Rights Commission. 2
- Attended numerous international meetings to raise awareness of the human impact of global climate change. The advocacy resulted in the adoption of a UN Human Rights Council Resolution calling for a comprehensive study on the adverse effects of climate change on the enjoyment of human rights.
- Led the Maldives delegation to the UN General Assembly twice, to the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in Uganda in 2007 and also to the 11th Islamic Summit Conference in Senegal in 2008.
- 1994 – 1998 Member of the Constitutional Assembly
- 1995 – 2000 MP for the President of Maldives
- 2000 – 2005 MP for Vaavu Atoll Constituency
- 2005 – 2009 MP for Vaavu Atoll Constituency
- 2009 – 2014 MP for Keyodhoo Constituency
- 2014 – Present MP for Henveiru Uthuru Constituency in the capital, Male’ Executive Parliamentary Posts
- 2009 – 2013 Speaker of the People’s Majlis (Parliament) of the Maldives
- 2012 – 2013 Executive Committee Member of Commonwealth Speakers and Presiding Officers Conference
- 2013 – 2014 President, Association of SAARC Speakers and Parliamentarians Conference
- 2011– 2014 Executive Committee Member of Commonwealth Parliamentarians Conference
- Diplomacy and negotiation
- Dhivehi (mother tongue)